Wednesday, May 20, 2009

One Week and Counting

One week from today I will be en route to Washington Dulles (via Amtrak) where I will then leave for Rome (via plane, of course!). Right now, however, I'm sitting in the library trying to get things in order for the research I will be doing at Pompeii for the first four days of my trip. I've obtained a research permit (or permesso) from the Italian government, which means that I will be allowed into areas not normally open to the public in order to take pictures and look at ancient Roman wall paintings that are relevant to my MA thesis. I need to see the paintings up close myself because published pictures are often not very good or don't show the details I'm interested in. I will be looking at paintings, mostly of women, which involve reflection. Such as this:
So, I will keep you all posted on the status of this research as it progresses over the next few weeks.

I also wanted to note several things about this blog (albeit a very amateur blog) for those new to blogging. The easiest way to follow my posts is to either "bookmark" or "favorites" the link I sent. This can be done at the top of your Internet Explorer/Firefox/Safari toolbar. That way you don't have to continue going to the email I sent you every time you want to read this (assuming you want to read this). There is a button to enable an RSS feed if you use Google Reader or something like that, but I'll leave that for another post.

Also, on the right side of my blog I've put some links to other interesting websites, which appear in green. At the top is a link to photos that I post titled "My Photos." I hope to update this periodically. There is also a link to the American Academy where I will be staying and working as well as a list of blogs that I read further down on the right side. If you click on any of these you will be directed to these sites.
Lastly, you can comment on any of my posts by clicking the "comments" link at the bottom of the post. Your comments can be anonymous if you like or you can enter your name or a secret screen name.

No comments:

Post a Comment