Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sorrento and Lemons


Since I finished my research at Pompeii yesterday and also spent the afternoon at Herculaneum (another ancient city buried by Vesuvius in AD 79) I decided to do something entirely different today: visit Sorrento (pictured above), a beachside city on the Bay of Naples about an hour from Naples by train. The city is famous for its lemon and orange trees so there are lots of vendors happy to let you sample lemon goods in hopes that you'll purchase something. Which I did....Otherwise, Sorrento is a pretty relaxed town that is much cleaner, quieter and all around nicer than Naples. Its right on the beach so lots of people go there to swim during the day. Its also where people catch the ferry for the island of Capri (a favorite vacation spot of Jackie O).
After wandering around Sorrento for a couple of hours I took the train back to Naples and decided to take a look around at some of the churches (like the Duomo pictured above). Unfortunately, I didn't realize that many were closed on Sunday afternoon so instead I went to the Greek-Roman underground tunnels...the name sounds much more exciting than they actually were. It was basically a hyped up series of tunnels that were apparently a Greek (or Roman, the tour guide changed his story so many times I'm still not sure) aquaduct system that became a bunker during WWII for the city of Naples. The coolest part was when we had to maneuver through a series of tunnels that I had to squeeze through using only candles that we carried. Except I was a little worried that I'd trip and catch the girl in front of me's hair on fire...
As I was killing time waiting for the tour to start, I purchased this, the first dessert to be featured on this blog: pistachio gelato. It was good, not the best gelato I've ever had, but definitely good.

So, in order to stimulate more interest in my fledgling blog I've decided to create a contest. Some of the blogs I read do this and they get all kinds of answers. I only anticipate a few since I'm pretty sure my readership at this point consists of Aaron, my mom and my dad (better chances for them!). Nevertheless, my contest begins as soon as I publish this pots and will last until July 18 when I return to the US (since it may take that long for people to respond). All you have to do is respond to the question I post and the best answer will get a cool prize that I purchased in Sorrento today. Your responses should go in the "comments" section of the post this is also an attempt to generate comments :)

So, here it is:

Question:
What is the best thing to do with lemons?

Post your answer in the comments section of this post and I will select the BEST answer!

16 comments:

  1. Highlight ur hair - Much better for you, mix the juice of one lemon with one teaspoon of salt and apply to your hair with a comb. Get out into the sun for a couple of hours for a walk, you get the picture.
    Don't do this too often / frequent, it will dry your hair out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing to do with a lemon is featured in your first post: make lemon cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM said:
    Trade them for oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to go with the traditional advice...When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say make something for Aaron cause he likes lemons. You know Liz I most look forward to your cracks about stuff like "I'd trip and set the girl in front of me hair on fire"
    My favorite thing would be to make lemon meringue pie. Mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take a wedge and squeeze it into a tall glass of Diet Coke - the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To freshen the air. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the vacuum cleaner bag before vacuuming.
    Shehryar - I am Mark's friend from Islamabad and enjoy your blog (you have more well wisher's than you think ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If life hands u lemons...ask for the damn tequila to go with it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. mix lemon juice with honey and hot water to sooth coughs and sore throats and gives you a dose of vitamin C.

    Rehan - I m MM's Colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st & 8th post are mine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lizzy....
    Lemons, Hmm...I'm with John, make lemonade...or a martini! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been following your site from the beginning, and totally enjoying your adventures. Well done! Technical wizard that I am NOT it has taken me this long to post this comment. Favorite food thing with lemons is lemon sorbet. Favorite household thing is to place lemons peels in the garbacge disposal to get rid of nasty smells :) Stay happy and healthy!
    Vick

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I haven't tried this yet, I can't say it's my FAVORITE thing to do with lemons, but it looks pretty darn good:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/06/lemon-mint-granita/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say that I LOVE lemons. I put it in water, coke, selzer, make a wine and lemon sauce to pour over chicken breast. But my absolutely favorite way to eat lemons is in YOUR lemon cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I am not a real fan of lemons (aside from that attractive Diane person's reference to your cupcakes), my suggestion would be to paint a lemon white, cross-stitch two parallel seams around it, let it harden in the freezer for a few days, and voila!!! A remebrance of Rice's World Series victory. What could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Use lemons to take stains out. Squeeze lemon juice on stain and put in sun. Stain should come out.

    ReplyDelete