Friday, June 19, 2009

Countdown to Pompeii...



Okay folks, tomorrow morning bright and early I depart for my quick trip to Florence (6:30am train departure with return on Sunday night) and I'm then leaving again Monday morning for Pompeii. So, once I get to Pompeii my Internet will be spotty at best--there is reportedly an Internet cafe in the city of Pompeii (the modern city, not the ancient one) so I'll be updating as often as possible. I'm excited and also nervous for the dig because as many of you may know, I am not what one might call an "outdoors person" and this whole 8-5 digging in the sun thing will be quite a new experience for me so, we will see how it goes. I am sure it will be great!

Today, for our last day in Rome, we visited the Via Appia Antica, which is is a road leading out of Rome where many ancient tombs once stood (and some remains are still there) as well as some villas. The road is actually pretty cool because it connects Rome to Brindisi, which is way on the southern end of Italy. In medieval times, many of the tombs were turned into sort of fortresses or I guess you could call them defenses so they were changed and added on to and now they are basically inhabited by pigeons. The villas were taken over in the late imperial period by the imperial family and a decent amount remains, but they are HUGE complexes. 

1 comment:

  1. Watch out for wild Tuscans on the loose in Florence. They wander in from the country-side and then lose it due to being surrounded by packs of tourists marveling at almost everything.
    Beef steak and ice cream are amongst few antidotes.

    ReplyDelete