Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hadrian's Villa



For the weekend two of the other girls and I decided to trek out to Hadrian's Villa, which is located in Tivoli--about an hour outside of Rome. Its a little bit tricky to get to: you have to take the metro then the bus and then walk about a mile or two, but its totally worth it because you get to see the HUGE villa that the emperor Hadrian built for himself. There are lots of pretty cool buildings and I've included a few pictures in my Flickr account for you to get an idea of what we saw. 

On our way back we stopped for a snack and I had a new kind of Magnum bar. Magnum bars are these delicious ice cream bars that are usually covered in chocolate or chocolate and almonds or chocolate and almonds and caramel or some other combination, but the one I had was vanilla bean ice cream with white chocolate coating: REALLY GOOD! They should really sell them in the US, I would totally buy them. 

We don't have meals on Saturday nights so we're going out a bit later, but I wanted to tell you a bit about the food here at the Academy. Its the Rome Sustainable Food Project which you can read about in the NY Times article that I linked. Basically, Alice Waters of Chez Panisse came to the Academy a while back and made their kitchen sustainable meaning they have these huge gardens where they grow as much as they can including vegetables, fruits, nuts and herbs and then the rest they get locally at markets and farmers nearby. The goal is to keep the food as fresh and seasonal as possible and keep it in its freshest form. So, this means that right now we are eating a lot of tomatoes, but that is okay because they are SUPER fresh! Like, the best I've ever had. They also make these really good roasted almonds that come from their own almonds I guess and they salt them really well. Its quite delicious. They sell some of their food such as marmalades, gelato, almonds, cookies, biscotti, etc. I may bring some back so everyone can try it!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had a garden that would feed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those almonds really are the kind of the best things ever. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have cinnamon almonds? They're my favorite.

    ReplyDelete