Thursday, July 16, 2009

Farewell Italy

This is definitely my last post since tomorrow at noon I am leaving the site and boarding a train for Rome. I will stay in Rome overnight and then get on a plane for the States! I'm pretty excited to get home. Italy is great and I've had an amazing seven weeks, but it will be nice to be home.

This last week of the dig has been pretty good and REALLY hot. Its been so humid that we haven't even been able to see Vesuvius in the distance from out site, which is normally very visible. National Geographic has been on site the past four days and they have loved us so much rumor is they're coming back for more tomorrow. Although they have not yet discovered my full potential, I have been in several background shots so look for me a) sifting buckets of dirt in the background and b) washing buckets of pottery in the background while you're flipping through your channels sometime in the near future. The problem with the sifting shot is its a) of my backside mostly and b) involves me pushing a big wooden sifter back and forth very quickly so I am sure that my arm fat is jiggling quite nicely in the shot...just ignore that part and focus on the speed and agility with which I sift.

Otherwise, the hubub of the cameras also means that the Italian workmen are all over the place. They have shut off our normal access to our store room meaning we have to walk a really long way to get there, which also involves walking through crowds of tourists carrying shovels and pick axes and all kinds of other super safe equipment.

In my trench, we have also discovered "natural" again. This time at the bottom of a tank. This means we have hit the natural, lava stone, which we can no longer dig through because it is too hard.

Tonight we will be going for our (well, my) last pizza and nutella filled cornetti and possibly having a dance party to celebrate my departure. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. It has been a most interesting and entertaining seven plus weeks via your blog.

    Thank you for taking the time to share some of your thoughts and experiences. All of us have benefited.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete