Monday, July 13, 2009

my big debut

I do not think I mentioned this before, but National Geographic is coming to film our dig this week!!!! We are going to be on TV!!!! Of course, I myself will probably not be on TV at all, but our project will be (sometime in the future, I will keep you posted on the details so you can all tune in) and our director will be for sure. They are interested in the work the project does and Pompeii itself. Today they were here scoping out the site and looking at all of our trenches to see whose was the most interesting, but I do not think they found our drain and tank especially exciting unfortunately. Oh well. 

They will be back on Wednesday and Thursday to film so we are all planning our wardrobes appropriately. In other news, I found a cool little vase today entirely intact. It is very small and cute. Its nothing especially exciting, but I liked finding it. I will try to take a picture tomorrow after I clean it.

Yesterday (Sunday) I went to Sorrento with some people. I had originally planned to also go to Capri, an island off the coast of Sorrento, but I kind of just felt like doing nothing all day after a week of digging. We walked around Sorrento, which is MUCH quieter and calmer than Pompeii and did a little shopping for souvenirs and stuff.  Sorrento brings me back to the subject of lemons, which brings me back to my original visit to Sorrento all the way at the beginning of my trip in May (man that seems like a long time ago). At that time, I had a contest and I would now like to announce the winner.

In case you are unfamiliar with the contest it was as follows:

What is the best thing to do with lemons?

And, after almost two months, the winner is: my cousin Jenn whose answer was--
"make lemonade---or martinis"

(This answer was very close to my brother's, but she added the additional clause giving her the extra push to the finish, sorry John).  For winning the contest she will receive lemon candies from Sorrento.

Before I end this post, I also want to mention that I am currently, as we speak, baking some cupcakes. Tomorrow is someone's birthday and one of the other girls and I decided to bake cupcakes. We forgot that there are no cup/spoon measures here and our recipe of course was not in metrics so we basically had to approximate the entire recipe, but I think they turned out pretty decent considering the circumstances. I will take some pictures and let you know the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment