Sunday, August 30, 2009

Italy Nostalgia

If you read my blog while I was in Italy this summer you know that I pretty much lived and breathed nutella when at all possible. I ate nutella filled cornetti, nutella filled cookies, nutella gelato, nutella on bread/cookies/crackers/apples and when all else failed straight out of the jar on a spoon. It was heavenly. Even the smell of nutella is divine, I can just sit there smelling the stuff without eating it and I am satisfied. So, I have been on a quest to incorporate this wonderful spread into my normal diet as much as possible (because lord knows I need some nutritious chocolate/hazelnut spread as part of my daily food intake).

Luckily, I am also on a quest to use my ice cream maker more! With these two goals combined I set out on a mission this weekend to make homemade nutella ice cream, attempting to somewhat replicate the delicious gelato I had in Italy, but realizing that whatever happened there was basically no way it could go wrong--I mean, nutella, sugar, cream, whole milk, there is nothing bad about this.

I found a pretty simple recipe online a while ago and unfortunately I am unable to find it again in order to include the link, but it went something like this:
1 c. nutella
1 c. whole milk
1 1/3 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
Mix the nutella and sugar until smooth. Add the milk and cream and blend on low until combined. Stir in the vanilla. Combine in ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.

The recipe itself was very simple and took me all of ten minutes to finish. I was generally happy, but would make a couple changes the next time because it turned out a bit too sweet, even for my tastes. I think I would cut out the sugar altogether since nutella alone is incredibly sweet. The mixture was very soft, like a soft serve, which is fine with me, but it would have been nice just a bit more solid. I think I'll play around some more with this recipe, but its a great base to work off of. For now, I am having no trouble finishing off the batch I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment