Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Most Perfect Tart Ever

Although classes didn't officially start this week until Tuesday, I had all sorts of meetings and appointments on Monday, but I still wanted to savor the freedom of my last night before the start of school. To celebrate, I decided to cook! Nectarines are my favorite fruit of all time (even more than strawberries and blueberries and all those other delicious berries) and I am constantly looking for good desserts to use them in, because I tend to stray more towards the cake side of things--I could easily polish off an entire cake in one sitting (I wouldn't feel very well afterwards, but I would enjoy every minute of the process).
Needless to say, I was thrilled when I stumbled upon a recipe for a nectarine and mascarpone tart that utilizes the nectarines in their fresh state. Its sort of similar to cheesecakes with a crumble crust and a creamy base. I, however, am also not a huge fan of cheesecakes often finding them too heavy and those graham cracker crusts are generally not worth the calories spent. Luckily, this tart uses ginger snap cookies for the crust, which adds an extra dimension of loveliness because ginger makes everything better!
This tart did not disappoint--the creamy filling is deliciously light and rich all at the same time and I can imagine all sorts of wonderful ways of using it all by itself with fresh fruit or stewed fruit or maybe even with some sort of chocolate concoction. Needless to say, it will be repeated. (please forgive the horrible photos, I didn't finish until nighttime and the light is burnt out in our kitchen making proper photos difficult...)
Now that school has started the cooking and baking will probably be slowed down. I am taking two courses as well as writing my thesis and TA'ing for an undergraduate course so I will be plenty busy. Do not fear! I do have great plans in the works for some chai cupcakes and a few other special concoctions up my sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment