Thursday, September 3, 2009

Crazy about Vegan


Several posts ago I wrote about some vegan chai latte cupcakes that I made for my friend Elizabeth. That was my first experience baking a vegan cupcake and it went remarkably well so I was eager to try again with something different and entirely vegan (the frosting on those cakes was not vegan). Luckily, I have a class this semester that meets late in the afternoon for 2 1/2 hours so we are all very hungry and ready for a snack during the middle. I decided that vegan cupcakes would make an excellent snack for weary art historians this week.

I started with a recipe again from loveandoliveoil and it was remarkably successful. Since it uses no butter or even margarine the cakes are very light as opposed to cupcakes that use butter, which are denser and richer, but definitely have their own place and time (basically anytime). I don't think I prefer one over the other its just a matter of occasion. With the frosting I was eager to try swirling two colors, something I haven't tried before, but I think is a nice change. I did not leave enough plain white so blue seems to predominate and my piping is a bit sub-par because I was trying to figure out the best way to highlight both colors, but overall I am happy with this first effort. I think they look pretty nice and will be a sufficient mid-afternoon snack.

Here is the recipe:
Cupcakes:
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Vanilla Bean Frosting:
1/4 cup margarine (or butter), softened
1/4 cup tofutti (or regular) cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
Whisk together the soymilk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and beat till foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until there are no longer any lumps in the batter. 
Pour into liners, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
For frosting, cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Add confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing each addition until smooth. Add vanilla, and beat until fluffy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I think if you enlarge your picture the swirl icing looks really good.

    ReplyDelete