Sunday, September 13, 2009

Peanut Butter Cups


I have to have dessert everyday. Every. Single. Day. And I honestly do not see anything wrong with that. I'm not talking three layer cakes or complicated pastries or anything, but something sweet like a cookie or a piece of chocolate or a little ice cream. I like to tell myself that it brings closure to my meals (whether or not that's true, I'm not sure, but I'll stick to that story). For the past five days, count them FIVE, we have not had any sort of dessert of sweets in our house! At first it was okay and I was surviving, but by this weekend it had become ridiculous and I could not handle it anymore (keep in mind we were also out of most other things like milk and bread). I broke down and ordered a brownie from a local restaurant and went to pick it up at 10:00pm last night because I was so desperate for dessert in my life.
Today, I was determined to solve this problem for good--or at least the next week. Someone gave me a mini-Reese's peanut butter cup the other day and I decided to try to replicate those flavors in cupcake form. I used chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting and put a mini-Reese's inside each cupcake. These were quite delicious if I may say so myself! The peanut butter cup inside the cake is a delicious surprise and the peanut butter icing is really light and fluffy, complimenting the chocolate cake very nicely. With chocolate and peanut butter you can never go wrong.

For the cake:
Rich Chocolate Cupcakes (I made them Vegan by using soy milk, but you can substitute regular milk)
Adapted from Loveandoliveoil.com
1 cup soy milk/milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 miniature Reese's peanut butter cups

 Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside to curdle for several minutes. Beat the oil, vanilla, almond extract and sugar into the milk mixture until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat the flour mixture into the milk mixture in two parts. Pour the batter into twelve cupcake tins and place one peanut butter cup in each cupcake. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

For the icing:
Peanut Butter Icing
from smittenkitchen.com
5 oz. cream cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (commercial brand)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until soft and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, slowly, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until each addition is fully incorporated. Add the peanut butter and beat until smooth.

As delicious as these are, I'm sending most of them with Aaron to his lab because I will eat them all in one day (just as I must have dessert every day, I also must eat all dessert that is present at all times). However, I am adding this recipe to my "repeat" list.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my.

    My two favorite things: chocolate and peanut butter..

    and don't let anyone tell you there's something wrong with dessert everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. "Repeat list." Yesss!!! They were, seriously, SO GOOD. And normally my favorite way to eat peanut butter is right off the spoon, but I'll take it in cupcake form (with chocolate), also!!! Now let me repeat: SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! you made quite a cupcake. It sounds really good. (Looks really good too!)

    ReplyDelete