Sunday, October 25, 2009

Food as Comfort



Whenever something bad happens people bring food. On Wednesday my friend Victoria's cat died and she was very upset so, I did what people do and brought food. I know that food doesn't actually make you feel better when you're upset, but at least if you feel bad your stomach can be full of something delicious.

I hadn't planned on baking that night so I was a little bit low on ingredients and limited in my choice of recipes. Luckily, I always have a jar full of chocolate chips on hand and I recently bought a couple of bags of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips too (you can never have enough chocolate chips). Since I was basically rolling in chocolate, I decided a super chocolately recipe was key, plus who doesn't like chocolate?

This recipe for double chocolate cookies comes from Ghirardelli and is almost entirely chocolate! Its almost a flourless cookie with a melted chocolate base and added chocolate chips making it ultra gooey and especially perfect while warm (and preferably with milk). I liked these cookies better than other double chocolate cookies because it didn't use cocoa powder, which in my experience has made more cakey and drier cookies.



Ultimate Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe adapted from Bake or Break

11.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon slices
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans or hazelnuts (my addition: toasted)

Melt bittersweet chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler or microwave, stirring until smooth.
In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick on medium speed. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder and stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans.
Refrigerate dough until slightly firm, about 40 minutes-one hour.
Preheat oven to 375°. Grease or line baking sheets and set aside.
Roll into 1-1/2 sized balls and place on baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes or until shiny crust forms on top but interior is still soft. Cool on baking sheets.

NOTE: I ended up having about a cup of toasted pecans on hand that I had toasted for another recipe a couple of days ago so I threw those in and it worked out great even though the original recipe does not call for the nuts to be toasted. Also, while I used Ghirardelli chocolate for the base (ie: the 11.5 oz. of bittersweet) I used other, cheaper, store-brand chocolate for the added chips because, let's face it, I'm a graduate student and as much as I would love to use Scharffen Berger, Green and Blacks, or even Ghirardelli every time I bake, its just not budget-conscious for my lifestyle (considering the amount I bake). So, I felt like this combination worked out well and didn't sacrifice taste!

2 comments:

  1. Those really look yummy. I think I might try that recipe.MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these, they were appreciated as tokens of love by both of us <3

    ReplyDelete