Sunday, October 18, 2009

No more rice!


Winter is practically here, which means many things. Number one: (and by far the worst) cold weather. I HATE cold weather. Once it gets below eighty degrees I can never be warm again and I have this constant chill, especially in my feet and hands so I am preparing myself for five months of cold. Number two: my papers are due soon!!! aaaaaah!!! this means i have to get cracking (and should probably not be writing this right now). Number two leads naturally two Number three: I do not have time to cook anymore. This means my meals generally consist of things like pasta, hummus and carrots, lean cuisine, canned soup, pasta again, salad, you get the picture. One other common dish is rice because I can put it in the rice cooker and with the cool timer it will be done eight hours later and ready for me to eat!

I get a little sick of rice though...It seems like any time I want a side dish, rice is the old standby. I always have some in the cupboard and its so easy to make, but after a while it gets pretty old. Lately I've been eating quinoia and couscous more (which can also be made in the rice maker), but recently I found some Lebanese couscous at the grocery store, which is extra cool because its HUGE!

Its also really easy to make, not quite as easy as rice, but still quick and tasty. I could have made it in the ricemaker, but this recipe adds some extra flavor. Here is the basic rundown:

Lebanese Couscous:

2 chopped shallots
olive oil
1 cup couscous
1 bay leaf
 1 1/4 cup water

Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook the shallots until translucent. Add the couscous as well as 1 bay leaf and let it brown slightly, coating in olive oil. Add 1 1/4 cups water, cover and cook for about five minutes. Lower heat to low and simmer for about ten minutes. Add more water if couscous soaks up all water, but is not cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment