Sunday, October 11, 2009

Brussels Sprouts?!

Now that it is officially the second half of the semester (or at least that's what the calendar is telling me, I keep denying it, but I think its true) I have to buckle down and really get this mountain of work done. In order to do that, I have to really stop cooking and baking so much, but its hard because there are always recipes that I want to try and occasions that deserve delicious food. Last week, I made some mini-chai cupcakes to take to school since everyone has been sort of dragging lately and snacks are always a good pick-me-up.


This weekend I was pretty busy working on my research so instead of doing a lot of baking we did some cooking on Sunday night. When I was at the store last week my impulse buy was brussels sprouts (exciting, right?). I've never been much for brussels sprouts, probably because my mom never really made them when I was younger. She made lots of other green vegetables, but perhaps since my brother was such a picky eater brussels sprouts never really made the cut. Plus, brussels sprouts kind of get a bad rap and aren't that popular on restaurant menus. When I saw them at the store, they looked really nice and green so I decided to give them a try.


To cook them, we basically just sauteed them in a pan. The "recipe" (if you can call it a recipe) is below, but its pretty standard. They turned out really well, but after trying a few I decided that: I do not like brussels sprouts. Unfortunately for me, Aaron "really likes" brussels sprouts, which means one of us is going to be unhappy in the future....

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

12-24 brussels sprouts
olive oil
salt
pepper
grated parmesan cheese

Trim off outer leaves of brussels sprouts and cut each in half
Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
Toss the brussels sprouts in a bowl with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and some salt
Put the brussels sprouts in the heated pan, flat sides down and allow them to brown, about five minutes. Cover if needed.
Once they are tender, move around with a spatula so that the round sides are able to brown slightly.
Serve immediately, with freshly grated parmesan on top.



Aside from the cooking going on around here, I have been busy with work. On Thursday and Friday we got to dog-sit for one of my friend's dog-a tiny little dachshund named Gertrude! She is very cute and well-behaved and it was fun playing with her for a day or so. Aaron particularly enjoyed Gertrude and since she left on Friday (two days ago) he has continually mourned her departure.

2 comments:

  1. Know why I love brussel sprouts? Because of the way my Bubbe made them: she would steam them and then marinate them in a jar with garlic cloves and balsamic vinegar. I swear to you you'll like them that way. Honestly. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do a "Best thing to do with Brussel Sprouts" contest!
    What about roasting them? Hmmmm. I'll have to try it.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete