Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pumpkin, Round One



My mom's favorite season is fall and she has this somewhat strange obsession with driving around to look at leaves. We're really different so I don't really understand what she sees in it, but she enjoys it and often takes long drives on Sunday afternoons during the fall. Whenever my mom talks about getting old she makes my brother and me swear that we will come visit her in the nursing home and take her for drives to look at leaves, to which we respond "you won't be able to see the leaves you'll be so old" (jokingly, of course) or we say that we'll put a cardboard cutout of a fall scene in her window so that she'll think its fall all year round! Of course, this is all in gest--I'm sure we'll take her for at least one or two drives in her old age....

Because my mom loves fall we did lots of fall activities growing up like going to the pumpkin patch, picking gourds, decorating our house and baking cookies (not to mention all of the Halloween activities, but those are a whole different story). It is a bit difficult to accomplish all of those things now with my grad student schedule, but I figured I could make at least one appropriately pumpkin-based food.

I have made this pumpkin bread before, many times, and its a great recipe. It is originally from Cooking Light so its slightly more healthy than other quick breads, which is not saying much. The original recipe makes two loaves, but I wanted to take it to one of my graduate classes for a mid-morning snack so I made one of the loaves into muffins and topped with pecans, which worked perfectly.


Pecan Topped Pumpkin Bread
Source: Cooking Light

3 1/3  cups  all-purpose flour (about 15 ounces)
1  tablespoon  baking powder
2  teaspoons  baking soda
1  teaspoon  salt
1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
1  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1/2  teaspoon  ground allspice
2  cups  granulated sugar
1/2  cup  egg substitute (my sub: 2 eggs)
1/2  cup  canola oil
1/2  cup  low-fat buttermilk
2  large eggs
2/3  cup  water
1  (15-ounce) can pumpkin
Cooking spray
1/3  cup  chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through allspice) in a bowl.
Place sugar, egg substitute, oil, buttermilk, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add 2/3 cup water and pumpkin, beating at low speed until blended. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Spoon batter into 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle pecans evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

For muffins, follow the same procedure to prepare the batter and just pour in muffins cups and top with chopped pecans. One loaf's worth of batter should make 18 muffins.

NOTE: The original recipe calls for egg substitute, which I do not use so instead I used two eggs (making the total number of eggs 4). I also didn't have any allspice on hand, but the bread turned out fine anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the pumpkin bread/muffin recipe. I must have it in one of my dozens (if not hundreds) of Cooking Light magazines and some day I will get them organized. By the way, have I ever given you and Aaron whole nutmeg that you grate yourself? You will never want to use pre-grated nutmeg again!

    ReplyDelete