Sunday, November 15, 2009

Better than Baking



The only thing better than baking cookies for yourself is having someone else bake them for you. The past two weeks have been crazy, to say the least. This past week I gave the lecture to 130 undergrads in the class I TA for--it was on Buddhist architecture, which is certainly not my specialty so I did a lot of practicing (Aaron is practically an expert on Buddhist architecture now, he's heard the lecture 3+times). I've also been writing like a crazy person: I recently finished up a draft of part of my thesis as well as a draft of one of my papers and this weekend (later this evening hopefully) I will be finishing up a draft of a second paper. I practically wake up typing my thoughts and think in terms of footnotes.


Needless to say, I've been pretty worthless around here considering I've basically been sitting in the same chair for the past ten days aside from the times I go to sleep and go to class. Luckily, Aaron knew that I NEED cookies in times like this and made these chocolate chip cookies the other day. They were very delicious (I've already finished them) and he used really nice dark chocolate.

Crispy, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
from smittenkitchen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
3. Beat the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy into the melted butter mixture. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Spoon cookie dough onto the cookie sheets (Use 1/4 cup for large cookies and tablespoons for regular sized cookies)
5. Bake larger cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller ones (check your cookies before they’re done; depending on your scoop size, your baking time will vary) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.

Also, Joe is doing well--he seems to be making progress with the house training (knock on wood...).
Here is a picture (a bit blurry, but you get the gist).

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the cookies, Aaron. And good luck with your work, Elizabeth. Cute picture of Joe, too, it looks like he's grown! Or maybe it's just that he's standing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute dog!!!!
    And that knee in the picture obviously belongs to an expert baker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Aaron! Joe looks like he wants a cookie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that Aaron is quite the guy! Sounds like you and John are in the same boat writing and writing. Wish I could have seen and heard you lecture. Joe is sure a cutie! Love You! Mom

    ReplyDelete