Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fall Cookies!



I don't know if everyone did this as a child, but when I was younger we made cut-out sugar cookies for every holiday. We had a set of special cookie-cutters for every major holiday: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter. We would make these sugar cookies that my dad really liked and then decorate them with colored sugars and icing, although what sticks out most in my mind is sneaking pieces of dough after my mom rolled it out on the countertop.


Since it was such a tradition when I was a kid, it still seems like something I should do for every holiday as if the holiday cannot be complete unless it has appropriately decorated cookies! Normally, I really only get to do this for Christmas because its the only time I am at home and not bogged down with work, but this year I decided I could set aside an evening and make some for Halloween too. Aaron and I had a baking extravaganza, a wild and crazy Saturday night! The recipe is from Martha Stewart and we used some royal icing to pipe and then flood the cookies.




Sugar Cookies
from Martha Stewart

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium; add eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture gradually, beating until incorporated. Shape dough into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight. Roll out onto a floured surface and use cookie cutters to shape. Place cookies on sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Decorate as desired.

Royal Icing
from Martha Stewart 

1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter

mix two ingredients together in a bowl until combined. slowly add up to 1/2 cup water until desired consistency. Use thicker icing to pipe edges of cookies and slowly dilute icing with more water to "flood" cookies with thinner, colored icing.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of the "pipe and flood" technique... I'm learning so much! These look good, I like the pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete