Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas Cookies




Yesterday, I was sitting in the graduate student office at school and one of the professors came in and asked me if I sell my cookies. He wants to buy some of my iced sugar cookies (pictured above) to give to his family for the holidays! I brought some of them to the department last spring and I guess he remembered them. So, I have to think of how much to charge him since they're really not that difficult to make and don't cost that much--it is really just an excuse for me to make Christmas cookies. Once my mixer arrives (rumor has it TOMORROW!!!!!) baked goods will be flying out of my kitchen--at least after the middle of next week when I turn my papers in. After that, I have to grade finals, but baking can be a break from the monotony.



In other news, Aaron and I went to NJ for Thanksgiving and had a great time filled with too much food (like every Thanksgiving, of course). For the most important part of the meal--dessert, people--his mom made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie and his aunt brought a chocolate cake shaped like a turkey(yes!). I was especially happy about the addition of the cake because although I like a good pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving as much as the next person I have always been partial to cake. This may have to do to my upbringing (yes mother, i am pointing to you) and the fact that cake was considered an acceptable breakfast food, but whatever the case I don't have a problem with it.



I also heard, via my family, that Thanksgiving in Omaha had four--count them FOUR--pies for a total  of ten people as well as an apple streudel! I can't believe I missed all of that dessert. I was also sad that I missed my Aunt Judy's trademark chocolate pie that she makes at holidays. Its basically like eating fudge with a crust and whipped cream and in recent years she's started making a chocolate cookie crust instead of a traditional pie crust (are you drooling yet?). Unfortunately, I don't have a picture on hand, but I want to include the recipe here. It is actually pretty simple and I think could be made into individual sizes pretty nicely as well.


Aunt Judy's Chocolate Pie


3 cups milk
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 t. vanilla extract


Combine milk and chocolate in medium saucepan and place over medium heat, whisking frequently until chocolate is melted. Separately, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk. Add chocolate slowly while whisking. Add the egg yolks and whisk. Cook over moderate heat, whisking almost constantly for 6-8 minutes until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce to a boil for about 2 minutes. Whisk constantly. Remove from the heat and add the butter, stir until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface and cool for 30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and stir in vanilla. Pour the pudding into the pie shell and cool for at least three hours.

1 comment:

  1. Charge $100/dozen. you're a poor grad student.

    ReplyDelete