Friday, January 22, 2010

A week of cakes



It has taken me quite a while to get back in the swing of things around here. A few weeks of sitting around my mom's house, followed by a few weeks of catching up on all the work I didn't do (while sitting around the house) left me with not so much time or inclination to do any baking. It is truly remarkable how tiring a day of TV watching can be :) Now that school has started again I am back in the baking mode. And let me tell you, I really made up for the lack of sweets in this past week. 

On Sunday, I made some mini-peanut butter cupcakes for my boss Leslie's birthday. They were super delicious. On Monday, I made a miniature, chocolate cake with chocolate icing for my friend Victoria's birthday (unfortunately I forgot to take pictures). Then, I received a commission!!! Leslie's son is having his birthday party this weekend and she wanted a cake. The party is dinosaur themed so she gave me some little plastic dinosaurs to stick on top of cupcakes. I also had two layers of a mini (6 inch) chocolate cake so I decided to decorate this as well.



Logistics:
Her son, requested strawberry cupcakes so I found a great recipe (with really delicious cake batter...) and iced them with buttercream. The mini-cake is a chocolate-fudge cake with bittersweet filling and buttercream icing.




I'll share the strawberry cupcake recipe here.

Strawberry Cupcakes
from Recipe Girl

2 1/3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 stick butter
3/4 cup pureed frozen strawberries
4 egg whites
1/3 cup milk


-Line cupcake pans and preheat oven to 350.
-Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
-in a separate bowl, whip the butter and strawberry puree. 
-Add the flour mix to this 
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg whites and milk. Add this in three parts to the batter.
-Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.




1 comment:

  1. Very pretty, I like the saturated color! Also I think Smitten had a strawberry cake recipe (maybe it's a similar one) that she liked.

    I don't see myself ever making strawberry, but I *do* see myself making peanut butter cupcakes... where did you get that recipe?

    ReplyDelete