Thursday, February 11, 2010

Heart Cookies


You thought I was never making sugar cookies again you say? After my dozens and dozens at Christmas time? Yes, that's what I thought too, but alas, Valentine's day rolled around and I naively forgot the long and tiring process, fooling myself into thinking it was "totally easy and worth it." Plus, my professor wanted to purchase two dozen so I decided I could do it again. It wasn't so bad, I'm getting quicker, but these were not as precise. The ones in the picture above represent the "duds." The cookies who didn't quite make the cut (that is, their decorating was felt too amateur to be sold, but they have since been eaten by Aaron nonetheless).

I also made a quick clementine cake for a superbowl party on sunday. It has a total of five ingredients and takes all of twenty minutes to prepare (not including the two hours you have to boil the clementines). So, if you have a box of clementines, or other citrus fruit, sitting around I highly suggest you click on the  link above to find the recipe. It is delicious.

On a non-baking note, I lectured to 170 undergraduates today in the class I TA for. The professor was out of town so I was filling in on the topic of High Renaissance painting. Normally, this would be awesome, but I came down with a nasty case of laryngitis yesterday so I was squeaking my way through an hour and fifteen minutes of lecture today. It was still fun, though and it feels pretty good to talk about something you really like for that long.

Lastly, I wanted to post the recipe for the peanut butter-cup cupcakes that I've posted on here before. I realized that I didn't post the recipe with the picture and I guarantee you that these are worth making (at least for your birthday).

Chocolate Cupcakes
from love and olive oil

1 cup soy milk
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1/3 c. canola oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together the soymilk and vinegar and set aside until curdled. Then, add the sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract to the soy milk and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add these dry ingredients until the wet ingredients in two batches.

Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and drop a mini-Reese cup into each tin (unless you are using mini-cupcake tins, in which case you should cut the peanut butter cups into fourths). Bake normal size cupcakes for 18-20 minutes and mini cupcakes for 8-10 minutes.


Peanut Butter frosting


10 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1/2 c. butter, room temp
2/3 c. peanut butter
4 c. powdered sugar


Beat the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. add the powdered sugar until desired sweetness. Last, beat in the peanut butter until smooth.







2 comments:

  1. 1 -- those are the sugar cookie duds?! They're gorgeous!
    2-- someone was asking me when you would be making those PB cup cupcakes again. I can now pass on the recipe, though I bet he'd rather you just make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! and note the cupcakes themselves (without the added peanut butter cups and icing) are vegan so if you were creative about your icing you could make that vegan too

    ReplyDelete