Sunday, April 11, 2010

Produce!

Spring is here and summer is coming (it was 90 degrees here this week, I LOVE IT!) so I am officially sick of hot winter food and ready for the yummy summer produce. I especially like things that require little to no oven/stove time. The following pizza is Aaron's favorite. It has a total of five ingredients (plus salt and pepper) so its super easy and really delicious. Plus, its really pretty when you take good pictures of it (which I did not do).


(Aaron took this photo, and I especially like the knife looming in the background. I think it adds a certain degree of danger to scene...)

Here is the recipe:

originally from smitten kitchen

1 batch of pizza dough
4 oz. goat cheese, softened
1/2 zucchini
1/2 summer squash
1 t. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Roll out the pizza dough and spread the goat cheese mixture on top. Cut the zucchini and squash as thin as possible (if you have a mandolin you could use it) and arrange them in concentric circles, covering the entire pizza. Drizzle some olive oil on top and any additional salt and pepper. Bake at 450 for 10-14 minutes.

NOTE: I didn't have lemon juice on hand so I skipped it and it was fine. I also hate using the mandolin because it is a huge pain to clean so I just sliced the vegetables with a knife, as thinly as possible. Really, just do whatever you can and it will taste great, this pizza cannot be messed up.

In other news, Joe officially completed his puppy class yesterday. He is very good at learning to do things, but not so good at learning to not do things. Now, he's basking in the joy of being free from school, but I'm pretty sure he misses the hot dogs.

3 comments:

  1. You should throw Joe a graduation party! http://i39.tinypic.com/23rvwh.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now, he's basking in the joy of being free from school, but I'm pretty sure he misses the hot dogs."

    that could have 2 meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was about the Pizza??? I'm not sure it would be my top pick but it sounds good up until the squash. Aaron, I think that was a really nice picture!

    ReplyDelete