Sunday, April 18, 2010

Strawberry Clafoutis

Although I love to make cakes (and cookies and brownies) I also like to make other desserts. Really anything that can be considered "sweet" but also be eaten the next morning for breakfast falls right up my alley. And, since I will basically eat anything for breakfast (birthday cake, brownies, cookies) there is not much that does not fit these requirements.


This dessert is actually Aaron's recipe, but I've tweaked it just a tiny bit. I think it comes from Cooking Light or something because it substitutes yogurt for the cream or milk of normal clafoutis, but I think the substitution works pretty well (and makes you feel slightly better about eating half of the pan for breakfast). The original recipe uses nonfat, plain yogurt, but I use plain (not nonfat) Greek yogurt. I like the texture a little bit more, plus I like the leftover yogurt more. You can obviously use any kind of berry (cherry is traditional), but this time I used strawberries since I found some really nice ones at the store and cherries aren't really in season here yet. I also ignore the liquer called for in the recipe because I never have it on hand. Lastly, I make it in this oval pan that is slightly smaller than what is called for because it creates a thicker clafoutis and I like having two distinct parts: berries on the bottom, creamy-goodness on top.



Berry Clafoutis

4 slightly beaten egg whites
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/3 c. sugar
 3 T honey
2 T orange juice
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. Greek yogurt
1 c. flour
berries of choice

Beat together egg whites, eggs, sugar, honey, orange juice and vanilla until light and frothy. Stir in yogurt until smooth. Add the flour until combined. Grease a dish (I use an oval, deep dish, but you can use a round pie dish) and line it with berries of choice. Pour the batter on top. Bake at 375 degrees until set, about 35 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. I love making this recipe - I'll definitely have to try it with Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete