Saturday, May 22, 2010

Possibly the best (and easiest) chocolate cake


I was invited to a dinner party at my friend’s house earlier this week and I brought a dessert. We had quite a feast with shrimp, chicken, salad, pesto-pasta, ratatouille, unicorn cookies (!), two rhubarb crisps and half of a birthday cake. I decided to bring this cake because a) my friend loves chocolate cake and b) I try to always try out a new recipe when I make things ( I have a huge file of “to try” recipes so I can’t afford to make things twice).

I think I might break my rule, though and make this one again. It was pretty tasty!



Chocolate cake with Chocolate Glaze

1 ¼ c. plus 1 T brewed coffee
¾ c. cocoa powder
2 ¼ c. sugar
1 ¼ t. salt
2 ½ t. baking soda
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 ¼ cups plus 1 T buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 T canola oil
1 ½ t vanilla
2 ½ cups plus 2 T all purpose flour

Glaze:
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
¾ c. unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
½ c. sour cream ,room temp
¼ cup brewed coffee, cooled


Place oven rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degree. Grease and flour 10 inch bundt pan. For cake batter:
-put coffee and cocoa powder in small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking often. Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
-in the bowl of a stan mixer with a whisk attachement mix together the sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs and egg yolk  on low for about 1 minute. Add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla on low again for about one minute. Add the flour and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add the cooled cocoa mix and beat on medium for about three minutes. Pour into the cake pan and bake for about 1 hour.

Let the cake cool completely.

For the glaze: chop the chocolate and put in a double boiler to melt. Melt the butter in a separate dish and whisk into the chocolate. Sift in half of the powdered sugar and then add the sour cream, whisking until combined. Sift in the remaining powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir in the coffee until the mixture is shiny.
Pour over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment