Sunday, May 30, 2010

Strawberry Pie


I may have mentioned once or twice that I am not a huge fan of pie. I can't really put my finger on why, perhaps it is all that baked fruit that is just better off fresh or the crust that seems like a waste to me since it is normally tasteless and soggy. I would rather take a piece of cake or a scoop of ice cream any day. I am not inherently against fruit desserts, however, I do like tarts and fruit ice creams, but I guess I'm just not big on the baked fruit with crust variety.

Aaron, on the other hand, loves pies. Lucky for me, he loves any dessert so he is happy to eat the cakes and cupcakes that I make. This weekend, however, I decided to make a rare pie--partly because Aaron likes pie and I rarely make them and partly because we had a quart of strawberries that were beginning to meet their end. Instead of opting for a normal pie that it made in a pie pan, creating a deep crust and layer of fruit I made a galette--basically a French style pie that isn't made in a pie pan. If I am going to eat pie, strawberry or another berry is my preference (or maybe peach) and these strawberries were delicious! The crust is also amazingly delicious and easy, possibly the best crust I've ever had. It is nice and flaky, not at all soggy and just sweet enough to be worth eating. With a sprinkling of sugar on top, it is pretty close to perfect.

Strawberry Pie
from What Geeks Eat

Crust:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1 T sugar
1/4 t. salt
6 T. butter
1/3 c. water
1 T. buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream (I used buttermilk)

Put the flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse to mix. Put the butter into the food processor, in small bits, and pulse again until it is chopped, but still in chunks. Mix the buttermilk and water in a separate bowl and slowly dribble into the food processor as you pulse until the dough starts to clump (you may not use it all). Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.

Dust the countertop with flour and roll the dough into a circle, approximately 15 inches in diameter. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silpat.

Filling
2 pints strawberries
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 t. vanilla

Remove the heads from the strawberries and cut into pieces about the size of your thumb. Add the sugar, vanilla and cornstarch and stir until combined. Pour the filling into the center of the crust leaving about a three inch border. Fold the borders over onto the pie, brush them with cold water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.



2 comments:

  1. so good. You neglected to mention that we finished it in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good.Did you use your new silpat? You are getting pretty fancy with all these desserts. First the clafoutis and now the galette. I had to go to school to learn how to make these. You ate it all in one day??
    Mom

    ReplyDelete