Monday, June 28, 2010

Another use for rhubarb



Several weeks ago we received more rhubarb in our weekly CSA. As I've mentioned before, there are two things I don't really like (only two): pie and rhubarb. Unfortunately for me it seems like the most common thing to do with rhubarb is mask it in some sort of pie (see: cherry rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb, peach rhubarb). I just feel like rhubarb is not a worthy vegetable if the only way to eat it is when it is hidden by the flavors of another, more tasty fruit/vegetable. 

So, since I don't really like pies and I'm sick of crumbles and crisps I decided to do something different with this obligatory produce--ice cream. The original recipe calls strictly for rhubarb, but we also had a bunch of cherries to use up so we decided to add them in (and, yes, mask the taste of the rhubarb). The end result is good--Aaron loved it--but not something I would do again. The worst part is the stringy pieces of rhubarb left in the ice cream. The flavor is very rich and fruity, it actually tastes like a rhubarb pie in ice cream form.

Cherry Rhubarb Ice Cream
adapted from Not Without Salt

1 lb. rhubarb, chopped in 1/2" chunks
1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped in half
2 oz. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk

Combine the rhubarb, butter, vanilla, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan on medium low heat. Simmer until the rhubarb is soft (if you are using cherries you should add these a bit later since they don't take as long to cook). Remove the lid and break up the fruit with a spoon. In a medium bowl combine the cream and milk and then add the rhubarb/cherry mixture. Let the mixture cool completely in the refrigerator. Churn according to your ice cream machine's instruction. 

And, here is a picture of Joe after his bath. He went swimming in the lake yesterday and was all muddy and smelly so this was what he got.


2 comments:

  1. Do you really want us to believe that that cute little "pup" could have chewed a hole in your wall? I agree with you about rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable, even when being an imp. However, I must disagree on the rhubarb. I love it, but I also love pie. And the truffle look-alikes are beautiful! I really must perfect my truffle making so they don't look so lumpy and mis-shapen.

    ReplyDelete