Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oreo Cupcakes


When I was growing up my family would go out for ice cream a lot. When we were in St. Louis this meant Ted Drew's for custard, but when we were at home this meant Dairy Queen and I would always get an oreo blizzard. Even today, whenever I go to a soft serve ice cream place I always get some variation on this mixture of soft serve and cookies. So, when I saw this recipe for oreo cupcakes with whipped cream icing I thought it just might come close to capturing the creamy goodness of blizzards.

This recipe is chocked full of oreos, each cupcake has half an oreo on the bottom plus oreo chunks throughout the batter. I also added oreo "dust" to the icing and had I not run out of oreos I was planning to put crumbs on top as decoration as well. I think they are perfect for summer--light and sweet and a touch of nostalgia.


Oreo Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Icing
from Annie Eats

24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 and line 24 cupcake pans with liners. Place half an oreo in the bottom of each liner, cream side up. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla. On low, beat in half of the dry ingredients and then add the milk, beating on low until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients. Fold in the chopped oreos. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes. 



Frosting:
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp. whipping cream
3 tbsp. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 tbsp. Oreo cookie crumbs

 In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until gentle peaks just form. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the oreo blizzard, that was your standard order. I'm going to try this recipe it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes the oreo blizzard,that was your standard order. I'm going to make these, they look really good.

    ReplyDelete