Friday, July 30, 2010

NUTELLA-licious*


I have been taking Italian classes all summer, actually that is kind of an understatement--I have given up my life to learning Italian 7 1/2 hours a day this summer :) It is a pretty insane process, but I knew what I was getting in to because I have done intensive language study before. I am learning a lot and I really think it has been a productive five weeks (only three more!). As part of our class, we had a "mandatory" party a few weeks ago. Doesn't "mandatory" just make it scream fun?  Needless to say, we spent a lot of time asking each other what we were doing for the weekend, what kinds of food we like, and what we like to do in our free time.

For the event, I decided cupcakes were necessary since I haven't really been able to bake much recently. In my mind I associate Italy with nutella (or really, all of Europe with nutella) so I decided to whip something up. I went with my standard chocolate cupcakes, for which you can find the recipe here and used a nutella icing recipe. Personally, I like a lot of hazelnut flavor so I adjusted the recipe a bit from the original and I am still not totally satisfied, but it will do for now.



Nutella Icing
adapted from Sugarlaws

2 sticks of butter, softened
approx. 4 cups of powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
approx. 1/2 cup of nutella

beat together the butter, vanilla and nutella until fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar until it reaches a desired consistency. I also added a pinch of milk at the end to make it slightly creamier. Basically, just adjust the ingredients until it tastes/feels like you want.

*for the title to this post, I must give credit to D who sent me an email with the same title.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Those look amazing. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't they be terrific for the wedding??? They DO look amazing, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'd be terrific for my mouth. Om nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top photo is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete