Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hearty Breakfast Food


Yesterday I was searching through my saved recipe files for a good zucchini bread recipe when I came across this other one for granola muffins. I have a huge bag of granola in my cupboard as well as a multitude of tiny, leftover bags of other granola because I normally enjoy eating it with yogurt for breakfast, but lately I have been on a cheerios kick. I was pretty psyched because I figured this would be a good way to use up all those leftover bits of granola (thus cleaning out part of my cupboard) and make something else for breakfast (cheerios is also starting to get old).

This recipe comes from the New York Times and is perhaps meant for people who enjoy eating bran flakes without any sweetener or raisins or who like those Carr crackers without any cheese on them. In other words, people who like boring food. They are indeed, hearty food and provide a good base, but really require something else to make them worth eating. I suggest jam or cream or even peanut butter. I think next time I might put extra dried fruit in them.

Granola Muffins
New York Times


1 cup granola
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large or extra large eggs
1/4 cup mild honey, such as clover
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl, mix the granola and milk and set aside to soak for thirty minutes. In another small bowl, soak the raisins in hot water for 15 minutes and then drain and dry. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl beat together the eggs, honey, buttermilk/yogurt, canola oil and vanilla. Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and then fold in the granola and raisins. Distribute into the muffin tins (12) and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.  

3 comments:

  1. I just discovered a Moroccan spice called Raz El Hanout. It smells heavenly and when you said the muffins could use a little oomph, I thought of it. It has cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, ginger, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, word of the Raz El Hanout is really getting around... now I really want to try it! Regarding this recipe, I agree that life is too short for bland breakfast pastries. The granola-to-flour ratio seems low, and adding some dried fruit sounds like a good adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutella on the muffins will liven them up just right. Fan in Bhikhi

    ReplyDelete