Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Return of me

I looked at my blog today and realized that I haven't posted in almost two months. A ton of things have happened, but almost none of them have been food related, or I guess I should say, almost none of the food related things have involved me baking or cooking. The few things I have made have been either repeat items or less than interesting so I haven't even bothered photographing them.

This apple cake is possibly the one exception. I made this cake for Rosh Hashanah because it is possibly one of the easiest recipes ever and it involves apples--sounds like a winning combination! It isn't very sweet and has no glaze or icing or anything, it is almost like an upside down cake except not upside down. Aaron actually preferred it the next day, cold.



Apple Cake
adapted from Martha Stewart
3/4 cup flour
1 lb. Granny smith apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
 6 T. whole milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
6 T. butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t. vanilla


Preheat oven to 325. Coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.  Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread apples in pan and set aside


Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, oil, and eggs in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour over apples. Bake until set and pale golden brown, about 40 minutes.


Stir together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl. Remove cake from oven, and pour topping
over cake. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. 

Aside from the lack of baking that has been going on around here I have been pretty busy with school. I am presenting papers at two conferences in the next month so I've been busily writing and rewriting those papers. We also spent a weekend in NJ/NY recently and now we are in the midst of back to back weddings. Here is a photo from the weekend we attended this past weekend. Hopefully, I'll be cooking and baking more soon so I will also be updating more!




            

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious (and I'm not usually a fan of apple cakes, honey cakes, etc.). It looks like a good breakfast/brunch cake. How do you think it would be to substitute apple sauce for some of the oil or butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, i don't know about the applesauce. i generally don't find applesauce to be a good substitution (especially in cakes, it is sometimes sufficient in muffins i think), but it might work out in this cake since it is denser. i would keep the oil in though to keep the crumb at least. the butter is only for the "topping" part so you could definitely cut this down and just have less of the caramelized topping portion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry and I actually sampled this cake while we were in VA over Rosh Hashanah. It was delicious! And Elizabeth, I am glad you are back on your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, you and Aaron look great in the picture. And Aaron even got a haircut!

    ReplyDelete